iSIKHNAS is Indonesia’s national animal health and production information system.
Developed and piloted in 2013 after a careful design process with stakeholders, iSIKHNAS quickly allowed the field-based services to move away from original, slow, paper-based systems to a fully integrated, electronic field-based routine reporting and support system.
The new iSIKHNAS allows for all aspects of animal health and production related activities to be captured in highly granular forms at the time of the event, validated and fully integrated and made immediately to all interested users. The success of the system, the speed of its uptake and the comprehensive nature of its functionality has brought rapid and dramatic change to Indonesia’s veterinary and production services.
The system is now used throughout the Republic of Indonesia and includes contributions of over 60 000 data items per day from over 12 000 field-based personnel and other staff. Over 4.6 million cattle owners and well over 5 million cattle are individually identified. The website sees around 1000 log-ins a day.
The system uses everyday technology in simple but clever ways to gather data from the field and make it readily available to users and stakeholders in ways that are immediately useful and meaningful.
iSIKHNAS puts the field staff at the centre of the system because they are in closest touch with the livestock, owners and their communities. Their role is crucial to the success and strength of iSIKHNAS. Their record of the cases they see, the actions and decisions they take as well as the outcomes of cases is quickly, simply and easily transmitted to iSIKHNAS and then iSIKHNAS goes to work to manage, report and analyse the data. All users have access to the data at the same time through tailored analyses and views, queries and alerts.
- Farmers benefit from the system by receiving better and more rapid service from the field staff.
- iSIKHNAS supports para-vets to build stronger relationships with livestock owners.
- The field staff benefit because they can offer a better service, target their efforts better, keep better informed and stop spending so much time doing administrative work.
- Inseminators, abattoirs, laboratories, check-points are also supported.
- Vets and district heads are able to target the priorities and resources better, and management can make better decisions based on accurate and up to date data.
It is a win-win-win for everyone.
In addition, iSIKHNAS integrates several existing information handling systems to make them more efficient and available to more users. The integration of these systems makes data all the more powerful and able to support the work of our decision-makers at all levels.
Indonesia had several existing systems which managed data for single purposes including InfoLab for laboratory data and the original SIKHNAS for field disease reports. These systems lacked real power because they were slow and unconnected. iSIKHNAS brought these systems together so that their data was able to be more efficiently managed and shared by all stakeholders.
Data from iSIKHNAS is made available to authorised users through a variety of means such as the iSIKHNAS website or via the reports, charts, spreadsheets and maps created by the system which can also be sent automatically by email or SMS to staff who require them. Views, reports and outputs are tailored to every user’s area of key interest or responsibility.
iSIKHNAS is a completely integrated system.
- Treatment records and laboratory results are linked with disease reports and case outcomes.
- Insemination records are linked with individual animal production histories. Inseminator performance and cold chain quality can be assessed with production outcomes.
- Population records and vaccination status can be examined in the event of outbreaks. Mapping allows for efficient program planning, accurate zoning and targetted movement control.
- Movement certification is fully integrated as are slaughter records, production, surveillance and population data.
- The list goes on….
That is great for decision-makers at every level and good for everyone who is working in the animal health sector.